Sunday, March 18, 2007

Ellie's 50s Diner

This morning, we took my nieces to breakfast at a 50s joint here in town. There were several bits of memorabilia so we spent an unusual amount of time trying to explain the Times Gone Past to a three-year-old.

Why was there a pink Cadillac outside the restaurant so close to the door and was it for sale?

Why was there the back half of a Cadillac inside the restaurant and why did it have big DVDs and coloured tubes of bubbles in it?

Who was the statue of the lady with the blonde hair and red lipstick and why was she holding down her dress?

Why did the statue of Vegas Elvis and the picture of Young Elvis not look the same?

James Dean? James Dean! What kind of silly name is James Dean, Auntie Lollie?

We ended the 50s blitz by teaching her how to sing Happy Birthday Mr President. I'm sure her parents are not going to be pleased with us...

6 comments:

Sassmaster said...

I would have chosen an Elvis tune myself: "It's Now or Never! Come hold me tight! Kiss me my darling! Be mine tonight!"

I love me some Elvis.

Lollie said...

But really, who doesn't love them some Elvis? He's the King for chrissake.

Sassmaster said...

So true.

cK said...

I genuflect before no man!
-The Future of American Fiction

Hulles said...

But a woman? There is cause for genuflection....

Nice work on the Happy Birthday.

Lollie said...

Thanks - next I'm going to teach her how to Mae West a "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?"